Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Another Accident, Another Student, Another Death.

Two Fridays ago, I received an sms from Guat Shan saying, "Accident in front of our house."

Shocked, I text-ed her back asking if it was her involved in the accident. She then replied me saying no, which made me feel so relief but soon, excited (no, not exactly excited but I can't find another word more suitable. More like curious?) about the accident. I was told the accident took place in front of my house, along the Westlake main road to UTAR. It was about 9.15 p.m. and being such a 'kepo', I went and have a look.

When I arrived there, there were lots of cars and people. There was an ambulance and a tow truck as well. I saw a black Mercedes ran into the fences of Westlake and 2 young motorcyclists, a guy and a girl, lying on the road, both motionless. By that time, I've already figured out that the motorcyclists were students. The motorbike was parted into 2, the body was near them but the head was thrown several feet away.

I was there for about an hour then I went home.

Next day, I check on J-on (click!), which is a website by UTAR students on UTAR-related news, for any news or update about this accident. Then I head from my friends that the guy was okay but the girl has a dislocated leg. She was sent to Ipoh hospital and then there was some news about she had clot in her brain. She had a surgery and went into coma.

She was supposed to awake from coma on Monday but she didn't and she was on life support. I then got to know that she passed away on Sunday evening, a week later.


The sad thing about this accident is, we'll never know the real story behind this. There's a story from the Mercedes driver that protects herself and there's another story that supports the motorcyclists from other sources. Then, from Chinese newspaper, the information was so false. I was there during the scene (I mean, I was there after the collision). It took place in Westlake but the newspaper reported that it took place somewhere near Tesco, which is in the Eastlake.

This is the 4th accident in Kampar involving UTAR student's death and the nth accident involving death in Kampar. I update on this because of how false information given in newspaper can be. I do not understand why newspapers report on information they are unsure of and why won't they get the reason behind the accident rather than reporting that the victims had their dinner and were going for revision. How important is that?

1 comment:

oce said...

yes i was so shocked and disappointed with the news from the press. i was there covering news for j-on.