Saturday, June 7, 2008

Petrol and SRC

Few days ago, our government decided to increase the price of fuel from RM 1.98 per liter to RM 2.70 per liter with the total of 40% increment. Everyone with car in Kampar practically rushed to the petrol kiosk to fill their empty/half/still full tank. Well, I was once of them. The queue was so long that it took me 1.5 hours to move a usually 15 seconds distance. I started queuing at 10 p.m. and finally decided that, "Ah! Forget it! We won't get to pump!" at 11.23 p.m. And thank God I was smart enough. Just look at the queue!

Just before increment.

Even if I continued queuing, I won't be able to pump. 30 minutes left and the number of cars are uncountable. We (Guat Shan and I) went to mamak instead and after that (past 12 a.m. which means after the price increased), we decided to take drive back to the petrol kiosk and have a look. We could almost hear the crickets singing.

Right after increment.

Due to all these increment, when I went to the market this morning, there was a 'protest'. There were a group of about maybe 5-7 people cycling around with cardboards messages on their bike. Some of the messages were, "Petrol price naik, Pak Lah turn!" and "BM prosper, rakyat suffer!" and some were in Mandrin and Tamil which I couldn't read. I heard that in August, our government will increase the price again to about RM 4. Might as well just invent cars that use human blood!

Anyway, Vincent, a friend of mine, approached me yesterday. He asked me if I'm interested to join the Student Representative Committee (SRC). If I join, I'll have to give talks, held campaigns, and everything possible to persuade people to vote for me. You know, like those political parties. I've been thinking about it..

Vincent, the one squatting.

Reasons to join
1. For experience.
2. My second brother once asked me to join. He said it'll be very useful in my resume in the future.
3. Being a student council is like, "Woah!"
4. Get to meet and know more people.

Reasons not to join
1. I'm already a member of 3 clubs, in which in 2 of the clubs, I hold positions.
2. I'm afraid I do not have to time to be totally committed.
3. I need to study too, right? Being in Degree isn't easy, you know?
4. What if I didn't win? Malu la!

I've thought about it. I'm still new in my course any my connection isn't that wide. So, I can't really persuade people to vote for me. I don't really like 'politics'. I'll make enemies. I still have another 3 years in university, which means I'll have lots more opportunity to join next time. But hey, being a student council is like, you know, really great! (though I'll have a lot of tasks to do then)

Well, if you know me well enough, you'll know that I'm very indecisive and I consider a lot of matter before making a decision. So, practically, I'm in a dilemma right now and I need to give Vincent my answer, whether or not to join him, by tonight (so that if I decided not to, he will have the time to look for someone else). So, how?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yala dat day waited with u in the car..tinggalkan my report and go pump but x sempat..haiz..
*bengang*
stupid *gov*!(later kena tangkap)
src..erm..mayb can consider to join..coz now only 1st year in degree..
paling free also this year..if tis time join and u feel too tiring or bz then u can quit nxt year lor..
*ur choice is in ur hand*

Anonymous said...

told u to pump the day before but you dun want to listen -__-

anyway, u decide la. first year is the time to be active i think cos after that will be busy? try out and c? good experience. shall support u although i cannot vote :p

eliza natsuko said...

gs+ahwei: yea la.. first year paling free but now i got things to do alr ma. as in like, u know, i have responsibilities BUT at the same time, eventho i have responsibilities alr, this year is still the free-ist *bengang. dunno how to explain* dilemma!!!!

xianfu said...

haha.

ah wei n kenji. saw u guys today at sunway pyramid.. wooo wooo wooo.
(thought wan say hi.. but.. so odd la since u guys dun even know my face)

eliza, maybe ur right abt them. xtau lah har.

:)

ohhh. can't make decision for u lo, hard 2 make. then next year join la . still got plenty of chance as u hv said. hehe. xD

eliza natsuko said...

xianfu : u saw them?! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! luckily u din go say hie. kacau daun oni. ppl went ICE SKATING know? XD LOL!!

next year ah.. hmm.. yea lo. i also think so lo *still thinking*

ah wei said...

xian fu: i knew u r in pyramid cos poh yee told. dun simply accuse le.innocent -___-

eliza: join next year? i become ur manager la :p

Anonymous said...

well, no harm joining. i have seen my classmate joined, and he's the Sturdent Rep now in FAS, UTAR PJ.. But i have to honestly tell you that workload will be a lot. and on certain days you might even have to miss certain classes if some VIPs or functions requires you to be there. and even if you don't win, you'll automatically become part of the SRC as some other positions. at least you gained a new experience and know what it feels like to run a campaign. it's fun! not everyone get chances like these.

and yes, like Edwin said, it really will help out a lot in your resume.

you still have time, but i honestly feel that first year is the time you can still have the time to actually get involved in these activities. Each sem gets tougher, with even more workload. you might not be able to juggle with too many activities then.

whatever your decision is, you have my support!

Anonymous said...

Well, Eliza first you must think what you like to do. Do you like the type of activitives a SRC has to perform. I guess there will be quite alot of activities for a SRC and to sacrifice your time. Championing for student rights, etc. As you mentioned like those political parties. You can quit the other clubs if you think it can free up your time. It sound interesting but can be very tiring end of the day. Think about how it will affect your study as you shud place study your first priority. Whether you join this year or next year, the effect is the same.

By the way, Guat Shan's comment "later kena tankap" what she meant.

Dad.

eliza natsuko said...

eunice : yea but.. hmmm.. i've decided not to join anyway :) politics isn't my cup of tea.

daddy: what guat shan meant was, she insulted the government in a way. so she scared kena tangkap by ISA la.. HAHA!

xianfu said...

ah wei,

lol. i got accuse u guys meh.. T_T

hehe. but was kinda fun lo, 1st time, I saw ppl those I know online in real life without even have 2 set up a meeting. hahaha

eliza,

kacau daun? ohh. I smart one. hoho. tats y I walked away. hohoho