Wednesday, June 4, 2008

E.L.I.Z.A

I love my name.


There are a lot of people out there who doesn't like or appreciate their names. At least I know one who doesn't. And I do not get why. Why do people dislike their names? To me, name is something that represents you. It's your identity. There may be many other Elizas' out there. Yes, but so what? One of them is still me. And I'm proud to be named Eliza. Eliza Loo. Eliza Loo Po-Iian.




I'm always fond of Chinese names. Even though I'm not able to interpret the meaning behind a particular Chinese name, or even read the name, as a matter of fact, I still think every Chinese name bears a deep and wonderful meaning. The meaning behind your name might be what your parents expect from you or what they want you to be when you grow up. Or it might be simply just a name your parents thought is lovely. If you don't know what is the meaning behind your name, go find it out! You'll be more than amazed to know what it actually meant. The meaning behind my Chinese name is 'Precious Faith'. Lovely meaning, no? :D




I'm not sure why I'm named 'Eliza' by my parents. They might or they might not know the meaning of this name but I Googled it. 'Eliza' actually have several meaning:


1. In French, it means consecrated to God.
2. In Hebrew, it means oath to God or God's satisfaction.
3. Eliza is a computer program designed to simulate a therapist or psychoanalyst.
4. Eliza also means a tendency to relate computer behavior to human behavior.
5. Eliza was a ship that disappeared in 1803.
6. There was another ship named Eliza that was wrecked in 1808.


I think the name Eliza was given to me by my dad after he found out about 5 and 6. He was a sailor after all XD


After all, the best part of a name, for me, is the surname or family name. In my case, it's Loo. Right, I know some of you know it actually meant 'toilet' but hey, I'm still proud of being a part of the Loo family. And you ought to be proud to be a part of your family as well. You know, in ancient time, people were always saying, "Do not embarrass the (for example,) Loo family." but these days, the phrase has been modified to, "Don't bring shame to our family." Whatever happened to the family name?


Whatever it is, I still think highly of one's family name or just his/her personal name. It's your identity. It's you!


P/s: I hope anyone who leaves a comment in this post will tell me what is the meaning of his/her name :) (Sueh sueh no one leave comment XD)

P/s + P/s: I'm still considering if I should get the camera.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall be the first to comment. Muahaha. I know the meaning of your name but I don’t think you know mine right?

My family name is huang (yellow) and my given name 雅惠, pronounce as Ya Hui. Ya is actually elegant and hui is favor/act of kindness. I guess it supposed to be elegantly kind XD Mama dreamt of this name. So, that’s how I get my name and that’s the reason why is it different from everyone in the family.

xianfu said...

wooo..

ah wei name is very special le.. how she ends up wit ah wei?

hehe.

Me xian fu lo.

it means, bringing wealth lo.

xian= bring
fu= wealth

no idea, why I bring wealth 2 OTHERS( NOTE THIS ) instead of myself. my dad realises tis mistake when I was 12.. -.-"

errr.. ur sentence abt d Loo family.. reminds me of Mulan onie. haha

Anonymous said...

Eliza we must be proud of our surname you see daddy's surname is LOO and mummy's surname is HOO.Do you remember the 8 immorals, our great great grandparents are one of them(ada pangkat punya lah...)

LOO: LOO TONG PING
HOO: HOO XIAN KOR

So you must be very proud of our surname only 8 immorals with 8 different surnames.


From mummy

eliza natsuko said...

by 'immorals', my mom actually meant 'immortals'. some typo there ^^;

eliza natsuko said...

ahwei: *imagines ah wei being elegant* *turns green* WAKAKAKAK!!! Joking la.. but so cool, weh! ur mama actually dreamt of a name. must have some special purpose behind it :D

xianfu: bring wealth ah? i hope by visiting my blog, you'll bring me wealth then, cuz i really need some wealth now. LOL! how did ur dad realize this mistake?

xianfu said...

thank gawd u actually betulkan ur mum typo..

I was.... IMMORALS.. umm.. ohh okaaaaayyyy.

LOL.

hw he realised ah? He told me, umm, when u grow older, u should keep the wealth to urself lo..

i got this.. VERY VERY ODD FEELING, MY wife is going 2 be richer than me.

LOL

Anonymous said...

xian fu: how i end up with ah wei? A small disagreement between family members and then they decided to name me ah wei. Well, at least is easy to remember. :p

eliza: well, she said she felt the name is nice without actually knowing the meaning. coincidence i guess. haha. me? elegant? one day ;p

eliza natsuko said...

xianfu : LOL! ur wife money still ur money wer. so ok la XD tho when i get married someday in the future, my money will be MINE and my husband's money is.. well, shared XD sharing is caring ma.. LOL!

ahwei : i wonder when that day will come la.. tho that day alr arrived for kenji XD

xianfu said...

ah wei,

ohh ic ic. any particular meaning for ah wei?

cough cough. ur money will be YOURS bt ur hubby money is sharing is caring ka....


-.-"

why can't we ALL share.. huhuhuh

x)

Anonymous said...

i am not sure wat is the meaning of my name..my chinese name is yue(moon) san(tak tau)..mayb sumthg to do with i give ppl hope when they are helpless?if u happen to come across the meaning of my name then tell me k ..haha..

ah wei said...

eliza: don't need start teasing. still wondering when you gonna stop -___-

xian fy: nope, no meaning for ah wei. eliza's mum mistaken it for an eng name and some people thought it's a nick name. XD

guat shan: ur shan is coral right? your name sounds like a beautiful night scenery. moon, coral, + sea? :p

kEnJi said...

Gken=prodigal of love.. dun ask me y they call me Gken, I juz dun understand

eliza natsuko said...

ahwei + gs : if gs's 'shan' means coral, means her name is moon coral la? maybe it's a type of coral. a very rare species where once u see it, u'll laugh and pop ur head off! (just like gs XD)

xian fu: didn't know u changed ur name to xian fy~~~ LOL!

kenji : wats Gken? how do u actually pronounce it? =.=

Anonymous said...

=D My name Elaine means "bright one" in French and it's the new form of the name "Helen." Hopefully I brighten up people's lives!

As for my Chinese name... 9 out of 10 people can't read it, so I'm kind of proud of my name =^^= 睿智 is supposed to mean intelligent and knowledgable. Well knowledgable maybe, because my friends think I'm a walking dictionary, but intelligent? HAHAH I DON'T THINK SO!

eliza natsuko said...

elaine! never knew you actually dropped by. so happy :D
knowledgeable, you certainly are. not just 'walking dictionary' wise. in crafts, anything concerning japan, arts etc. you're just so good at it. intelligent, well, like i've mentioned, you're good in crafts and arts so i guess it's considered as intelligent? ^^