Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chinese New Year Decorations

I was given a task to decorate the house for Chinese New Year. Usually the decorating job is done by my mom and I'll only help around but since my mom started working, I was asked to help to decorate the house.

This year, I get to decorate the house all by myself and according to my own liking. Yeah! My plans are actually writing calligraphy, make handicraft from old ang pow packets, hang those decorative 'stuff ' (whatever you call it) and anything that I can think of at that moment, that is Chinese New Year related.

This is the result from a one day work.


I bought this pair of Vietnamese lantern all the way from Kampar just to receive a negative comment from my mom. Sheesh.. She didn't know how much trouble I went through to get these lanterns. I bought them because I thought they were pretty and I haven't seen them in Klang. I thought it might be wonderful to have them this new year. They're unique, pretty and classy, aren't they? Thank God there's at least someone who shared the same opinion as me though. My ta sau love them ^^

'Fu'. Please ignore the person behind. She's desperate to get into the camera.

The calligraphy I wrote using marker pens. I wrote 2 Chinese characters actually- 'Fu' (fortune) and 'Lu' (prosperity). They looked somehow ugly and retarded but hey, considering the fact that I can't read or write Chinese characters, this is, I would say, a success. Way to go, Eliza! But to be truthful, I'm not really satisfy with them and maybe I'll write better ones. Of course, it all depends on my mood XD



This is my personal favourite. They're called Mystical Knots. I don't really know the meaning behind these knots but I think they're simple and nice. Mystical Knots are usually small and hand knitted but these are the larger version of those little knots. And maybe because of the size, they gave me the image of hotels. Hotels like Mandrin Oriental Hotel, to boot.

The decorative 'stuff' I was talking about.

Of course, there must be lanterns and fire crackers during Chinese New Year.

2 hanging 'fu' s above the 'fu lu shou'.

That's all I did the whole day today but there are more decoration to be done. I haven't hang up the big fire crackers, decorate the plants and make the whole house more 'red'. The next thing I might do is to change the curtains. It's Chinese New Year and the curtains are green!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wat DESPERATE!!!! kick u ar... "wa lam teng"......... wakaka...

Hoong Lyn said...

nice deco! Your mom will definitely like it la...all your effort that you've put in.