Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Random facts about... Rats?


Ah Wei just complained ealier that I haven't updated my blog for a certain period now. I agree. Well, that's simply because there's nothing really interesting happening and another honest reason, I can't think of anything to blog about. It's kind of like my 'vacation' now and I'm letting my brain rest. Lol.

I'm in my final lab now and there's nothing much. I mean, there is supposed to be a lot of work (according to one of my previous lab collegue) but since the lab technician who I'm supposed to follow is on leave till the 8th this month, I practically just linger around and 'cabut' home early everyday.

Today, I was very fortunate to be given a chance by Yen Ee's department to well, dissect rats. I did this once when I was in foundation but we're talking about bulk here but not much, just 40 of them. So, there were three steps- extracting the blood, removing the organs and removing fats from the organ. I was involved in the first and last step.


All dressed up for the post mortem. Can you spot me?


From what I did today, let me share with you some very random facts about rats, which I know you might not need it but well, just take it as general information. Lol.

1) A male rat's testicles are imbalance- the right testes is slightly larger than the left.
2) Liver is the largest organ in a rat and the smallest is the adrenal gland.
3) The adrenal gland is no bigger than a quarter of your keyboard keys.
4) A rat's testicle is bigger than it's heart, and probably it's brain.

I guess just 4 is already enough to bore you.

While I was there witnessing and killing the rats, I actually feel so very sorry for them. Some of them weren't even asleep before they were killed ><

Well, I guess that's why I'm in Biotech, right? I deal with creatures which when I take their lives, I'm less sinful XD

5 comments:

sardin said...

2 out of 4 general informations are about testicles.. ==

~eRiC~ said...

oh my, killing rats... think at the positive side... pray for them, may they be reborn in a better next life..
Btw, today Alice and I went Hematology, couldnt spot you... where were u today before lunch.. We found Sian siu..haha

Ju Lin said...

lab rats are meant to be subjected to tests which may take their lives. That's why they are known as lab rats. =X

eliza natsuko said...

sardin : more interesting >D

eric : yea sian siu told me about it. she even told me that ur hair is not light shade of brown XD oh that time you guys came over to my dept, i was in another dept dissecting the rats ^^;

sendoh : yea but the guilt... aiks! :(

fuzpeiz said...

gasp!..the lazt time i dissect a mouse was in f6....
embarrassed to say i cried :(