Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fly Away, Little Bird.

2 days ago, when I came back from university, I spotted a pigeon in my balcony. There are lots of pigeons around so I though that little one was just resting outside.

The position of the bird when I first notice it.

That night, when I peep out the balcony, it was still there. I told my kayah about it and he asked if I fed it with some rice. Obviously, I did not since it was a bird and birds were trained to find their own food. So anyway, I did not really care about it, thinking it'll fly away soon enough.

Curled up in a corner when nightfalls. Perhaps it was warmer?

Next morning, when I woke up, the first thing I did was to check if the pigeon was still there and yes, it was. I snap a pic and left for morning classes. When I came back, the pigeon was looking into my room like it wanted to come it. There were several attempts where it tried to come into my room but every time it came close my my glass door, I shooed it away. The little pigeon did not give up. It kept coming near my balcony door, trying to get in. After a few attempts, it succeeded to come into my room. I scared the little pigeon and well, it did got scared and tried to get out of my room. What shocked (at the same time made me laugh) was the bird actually fell when it tried to climb over the low grill door. I mean, birds are supposed to fly when they're falling right?

Little birdie wanna come in?

I figured out as much that the pigeon was injured, perhaps both the wing and feet. I threw out some rice grains, hoping that it will gain some energy from eating and fly away. That night, Guat Shan came into my room, looked out the balcony but couldn't find the bird. I told her that perhaps the bird finally healed and flew away.

I had to block the gaps with newspaper to prevent it from coming into my room.

When I woke up yesterday morning, to my horror, I found the little pigeon dead. Its head was in a pool of blood. My hypothesis is, the night before, it managed to flew to a higher place and when it tried to fly away, it fell, landed on its head and killed itself. I spent about half an hour cleaning the mess the pigeon made (the food, droppings and corpse).

:(

I actually felt kind of sad for the little pigeon. Maybe it knew that it'll die of hunger soon (because when I fed it with rice grains, it took a few grains and stopped eating after that. In stead, it fed on the liquid from its feces.) and still, it tried to live on and fly to else where to get food. Unfortunately, its will power wasn't supported by its own body.

It drank the liquid from its feces.

Rest in Peace, little birdie.

1 comment:

kEnJi said...

a little bit shocked when saw the pic..May the bird rest in peace n be a strong person in the next of its lives.