Monday, May 19, 2008

Of Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry

I'm in love with Biology. Biology is the best subject after Languages. By this, I mean, of course, for the sake of knowing only. For knowledge not for exam purposes.

Since I have to sit for 5 papers (Maths, Biology, Chemistry, English and Japanese), during the Monbukagakusho qualifying examination, I've been 'hardworking' and studied for the exam. I started with Biology and I did revise (very little. Malas la..) on some Maths and Chemistry. I wanted to cry when I did Chemistry and I wanted to die doing Maths.

I've always been weak in Maths and as for Chemistry, I enjoyed learning it but I forget quickly. I learn by understanding how things work which is why I think I like Biology best. Simply because Biology explains so does Chemistry (though for some reaction, it just happen for no solid reason). As for Maths, there's no explanation in it. (For the following sentence, I quote from someone I don't remember) We do no need to understand Maths. We just get used to it which is why we practice Maths but not Biology. And God knows how much I hate repeating a particular action.

See the Calvin Cycle?

I've seen the sample questions for Maths (for the exam) and I don't think I can make it for the interview. Things get worse when I found out that out of approximately 2500 students who will be sitting for the exam, only less than 10 students will be granted the scholarship. In other words, I need to be top 15 in that 2500 students in order to get into the interview stage. I feel like giving up but I know I can't. This is a golden opportunity for me. There's no chances for me to study in Japan except for this. And studying in Japan has always been my dream. *see the exam papers again* *waves white flag* *feels like saying, "Oh well, there's always next time."*

If it's allowed, I would rather sit for 3 Biology papers rather than taking Maths and Chemistry. Or maybe I would change my major to just Biology (but that requires Maths as well) or Journalism.

6 comments:

xianfu said...

ohh...

Calvin's cycle.. that name sounds so familiar... is it abt.. the light independent reaction? hahahha. couldn't be sure la.. confused with so many cycles in biology liao.

ohhhh. Can wan. U sure can do it wan if u believe in urself.

*lookin at my invisible crystal ball*

Yess.. yesss.. I see seee that Eliza will be called for interview for the Mxxxxxxxxx scholarship interview..

;P

Anonymous said...

don't give up so fast la -___-
need to study for 3 papers only ma! jia yu! got time!

eliza natsuko said...

xianfu : yea.. calvin cycle is the dark or light-independent cycle in photosynthesis. it produces sugar/food for the plant using NADPH and ATP from the light reaction (ignore that. i was recalling XD) anyway, thanks for the encouragement though.. well.. *sigh*

ahwei : u know my maths la.. *cry*

Anonymous said...

DO NOT GIVE UP! At first i din want you to get it but later on i see your eagerness and how u FORCE me to pray for u in order to pass for the exam...i see how much u want to get it so just give your best shot, do your best alright?

eliza natsuko said...

oh yes~ i want it so so much! but the exam papers are making me think the other way round *sob* thanks tho :)

xianfu said...

cough cough.

I was taken back by ur reply.. wat the.. was she seriously going to retell me the whole Calvin cycle with the light dependent reaction as well which invovles cyclic n non-cyclic photophosporylation(4got the spelling)?

LOL

OHHHH. at least u already started revising instead of sitting down doin nothin or.. playing chor dai di. hehe
;p