Monday, April 7, 2008

Scholarships For The Poors?

I was filling up the scholarship application forms earlier and I realize something.


Why do only the poors deserve scholarships?

No, I'm not saying that I'm rich or anything but shouldn't it be both the poors and the average ones who have the desire to study deserve to receive a scholarship? I mean, yes, I think my family can support my education but wouldn't that be a little unfair to me? I want to study and yet, I have to pay for it. And there are people to do no do as well but still, they are on scholarship. All they need to do is to score the minimum CGPA and yay, they can study for free. Some of us, on the other hand, struggle to be the best in hope to receive a scholarship and the next thing we know is our family income do no permit us to receive one.


Please do not get me wrong, I understand that scholarship is to help those to cannot afford their education. Yet, I still think there are people who are on the average line but deserve the scholarship as well. Think about it, have you receive the scholarship, you can use the money saved for many other purposes! Maybe the money can be used for your sibling's education or maybe you can use the money to buy text books. Or, pay your house rental? Other fees perhaps?


When will they finally notice the flaw in their policy?

5 comments:

xianfu said...

ummm. . .

heard abt this debate on TheStar newspaper too.

I think scholarships are for those who are deserving only lor.

If you score the necessary results and ur average household income inside the stipulated range, it's acceptable to get a scholarship wat.

it depends on what kind of scholarships you're applying la...

the one that places more weight on ur academic results or your family background.

Scholarships are generally for those who are deserving (gud results but no money to study)

not, for the poors.

for d poors like saying those poor people get study for free even if they got sub-standard results.

tats wat I thought all tis while. ;p

eliza natsuko said...

i agree that scholarships are for the one who cannot afford but still get good grades but what i'm trying to say is that even if you're not that poor or just average, you should stand a chance to get a scholarship as well.

haih.. in this country, everything sure got quota wan la.. so even if someone is a little below average but still obtain good results, because of quota, sure that student won't get the scholarship.

xianfu said...

ohh.

I got wat u mean.

it's like everyone stands an equal chance to get a scholarship ah?
except for the high income range group?

correct me if I'm wrong ya?

ya. everything must have quota. If not, there will be unlimited scholarhips n the country will go bankrupt providing assistance or those who offer scholarships wat.

everywhere also got quote wat.

:)
well, wat scholarships ur applyin anyway?

u dun sound happy.

eliza natsuko said...

what i meant by quota is.. you know la.. racial thinggy XD so better not go in detail or else i'll start my so-called 'mogok' again.

i'm applying for several scholarships la.. it's not that i'm not happy. just that feel so stress when they asked for parents income la.. sibling's income la.. this la that la.. *is frustrated*

xianfu said...

cough cough.

u mean that "quota" ah?

ohh. got it liao.

YES. U should write abt it .

hehe