Saturday, October 27, 2007

Compliment? Insult?

There's one thing that I'm still unsure whether if it's a compliment or insult until now.

You see, the average height for a 17 years old Asians is maybe 165cm? Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not 150cm. And me, being 17 and just 150 cm, is the problem. Still don't see the problem? Alright. Imagine these scenes.


Scene 1 : Over heard some aunties.
Yesterday, I was just innocently standing around waiting for Guat Shan outside the lecture room and there were 3 cleanning aunties around there, chatting among themselves. I was minding my own business as they talked until I heard them talking about me.


I know I'm short but 15?

Aunty 1 : Tengok dia (which is me). Macam anak kecik ah..
Aunty 2 : (looked at me and nodded)
Aunty 3 : Macam 15 tahun.
Eliza : ..........


Scene 2: Dinner with friends.
Last week, I had dinner with my group of friends in a quite-happening-cafe-for-a-small-town. While waiting for the food to arrive, our attention somehow diverted to another group of what we call 'lala'. Their dressing was really too exaggerating. They make-up, wore high heels, short skirts, and those typical 'lala' style. We tried to guess their age. Some said they were junior high schoolers and some said senior high schoolers. So, I asked one of my friend, Joe.

Joe.

Eliza : Do they look older or younger than me?
Joe : Older, obviously.
Eliza : How old do you think they are?
Joe : About 16?
Eliza : So I looked younger than 16?
Joe : You looked 10
Eliza : .......

And then thanks to Ah Wei for adding side effect like snickering and giggling.


Scene 3 : Attending Bro's Graduation.
This actually happened a few years back. It was my second bro's graduation and well, I attended. As usual, they have this rule stating children under 9 aren't allowed to enter the hall to avoid disturbance. So, before they let me into the hall, I was interviewed.

Among the elementaries?


Eliza : (was about to walk through the door into the hall)
Miss whoever-at-the-door : Wait. Are you 9? (she spoked in Mandrin asking if I'm above 9)
Eliza : .........

I was 15 back then!!! And she asked if I'm above 9?! @#$%^&*!!


Scene 4 : Asked by my own cousin.
Just before I left my hometown for university in another state, my close relative, my cousin bro asked me something that I, myself was shocked!

Cousin : You're standard 6?
Eliza : !!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to attend university and he thought I was 12?! OMG!!


There are lots more situation in which I was mistaken for being younger like how I was given primary school uniform when I was in secondary when I was shopping for new uniform and how I always get children's price for train tickets, movie tickets and theme park tickets. Well, I wouldn't say being short or looking young is an entirely bad thing because well, imagine 20 years from now, when I'm 37, people will think that I'm 20! :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Everyone is born special"
Remember that!

~STHL~

eliza natsuko said...

XD

Anonymous said...

dun have to be upset over those comments. somehow i feel that when they say you are young, they mean u really look young. the height is just an additional factor. because i really do feel u look much younger than ur age. i get that often too.just not as bad as urs la..hihi..